Thursday, October 11, 2007

"I sing the Mighty Power of God"



I sing the mighty pow'r of God, That made the mountains rise; That spread the flowing seas abroad, And built the lofty skies. I sing the wisdom that ordained The sun to rule the day; The moon shines full at His command, And all the stars obey.



I sing the goodness of the Lord, That filled the earth with food; He formed the creatures with His word, And then pronounced them good. Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, Where'er I turn my eye: If I survey the ground I tread, Or gaze upon the sky!



There's not a plant or flow'r below, But makes Thy glories known; And clouds arise, and tempests blow, By order from Thy throne; While all that borrows life from Thee Is ever in Thy care, And ev'rywhere that man can be, Thou,God, art present there.

Words: Isaac Watts - Divine and Moral Songs for Children (1715)
Music: from Gesangbuch der Herzogl, Wurttemberg (1784)

Listen to the music at Cyber Hymnal. Although the music playing is pretty, I like William H. Monk's (1868) (Midi,Score) best.

Images courtesy of All Posters

14 comments:

Mimi said...

Beautiful hymn today Cathy!!!

Cathy said...

Thank you, Mimi. I just happened to see it in the hymnal. I believe I really like the children's hymns. :o)

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Cathy, thanks for stopping by my blog. I am a little behind right now with working and some other things that are going on. But I thank you for stopping. I love your music. I too simply ADORE music...

Cathy said...

You are welcome, Sandy, I enjoyed my visit. Thank you, then we have a love for music in common. :o)

candy said...

Beautiful..love the pictures :)

Cathy said...

Thank you, dear Candy. :o)

Maxine said...

Beautiful pictures! They do this wonderful hymn justice.

Cathy said...

Thank you, Maxine, (smiling) I did try hard.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

You have a beautiful blog! I've enjoyed browsing through it.

Katherine

Cathy said...

Thank you, Katherine, I'm glad to have you visiting. :o)

Beka said...

What a great hymn-- and you always find such perfect pictures to complement the hymns you post!

Cathy said...

Thank you for the sweet comment, Beka, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Sharon said...

I love old hymns!!! (I had to say it again);-) This is a beautiful one and I love the pictures you chose.

Cathy said...

me too, Sharon, thank you and I'm glad it blessed you. :o)